Bible Reading: Amos 4:6-12
Amos 4 gives us a detailed account of God’s “attempt” to bring Israel to repentance.
- God brought a dearth of food (4:6)
- God brought a drought (4:7-8)
- God sent the “palmer worm” to devour Israel’s crops. (4:9)
- God sent pestilence and death to Israel. (4:10)
- God overthrew some of Israel. (4:11)
In all these things, Israel refused to turn to God. So what is left? Amos 4:12 tells us “Therefore thus will I do unto thee, O Israel: and because I will do this unto thee, prepare to meet thy God, O Israel.”
God did not bring these judgements on Israel to “punish” them but to cause them to repent. Their refusal to repent brings perhaps the most fearful thing that can be told to a people, “Prepare to meet they God.” This is obviously not a good thing, but a judgement was coming that would break Israel.
The bottom line is that the pleasure of sin is not worth the cost.